6.21.2008

Manual Labor

Jason and friends have had a manual labor-filled weekend. Friday night Jason, Steve & Greg rented this big walk-behind bobcat to haul the gravel and sand that were delivered Friday morning. We've decided to do a paver stone patio, so first is a layer of gravel, then sand, then the actual stones. Here are some pictures of the gravel-laying. Each of the guys took their turn operating the big powerful man tool.Apparently, the ladies weren't doing a good enough job of supervising...
Because they put us to work "tamping" the gravel down by walking on it:After a night's work, we went to Pizza Street. For anyone that hasn't been there, it's a $5 pizza buffet. The pizza is not outstanding, but oh man, are there some yummy creative flavors! Last night, we had baked potato pizza (I think they actually put mashed potatoes on it), spinach artichoke pizza, chicken wing pizza, and my favorite, cheeseburger pizza, complete with pickles, mustard & ketchup. Don't knock it 'til you try it, it was delicious!!

From there the rest of the crew went to Dave & Alyssa's house to help clear out their basement. With all the rain that we've been getting, their entire basement flooded!! They were forced to rent a POD to move all of their furniture and belongings out of the basement so they can replace the flooring, drywall, etc. That totally sucks!

I stayed home to go to bed early since I got up early to run in the Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure (Breast Cancer). It's just a 5K, but since I haven't been doing much of anything as of late, I wasn't sure I'd be able to run the whole thing. It was a little toasty out there, but I was able to do it (barely!). For those that aren't familiar, St. Louis has one of the biggest turnouts for this walk/run, which takes place throughout the US. Today we broke a St. Louis record with more than 62,000 runners & walkers. Wow! It truly is amazing, and almost everyone there is running in celebration or memory of someone. I had to stop reading the backs of people's shirts because I was getting choked up - it's amazing how many people are plagued with breast cancer.

Now, let's play Where's Annie? I took this picture from stltoday.com
While I was at the race, the men (Jason, Greg & Dave) decided to rent another power tool (do you see the theme here?). They rented an automatic tamper (not sure if that's what it's really called) that gets the gravel nice and flat. Melissa & I ran an errand and by the time we returned, they were making great progress on the sand-laying project.


Today we had a new project foreman, Maggie:
More fun with the power tools:
We're getting so close!!

Lastly, Melissa picked up my pottery for me - I think the inside is fun, but I'm not thrilled with the far-less-than-perfect stripes on the outside.

No comments: