Catch Up

I've been on a blogging hiatus for a few reasons. First, December is a busy month for me at work. In order to still spend as much time as possible with Jack before he goes to sleep, I've been leaving work at a normal hour and then getting back on my computer after he goes to bed to finish up some work. That doesn't leave much time for blogging! Also, Jason had all but hijacked the laptop in his massive search for a bass boat. He seriously spent about 2 weeks straight scouring the Internet looking for a perfect boat for Steve and him to buy. Thankfully (I think) he finally found one, which he's going to pick up next weekend, so I can now use the computer at will again.

Anyway, let's review what's new with us. Jack is doing great. He's been a little congested lately - I think I gave him the cold I had a few weeks ago. It doesn't seem to be bothering him, but I have gotten really fast at using the dreaded nose aspirator bulb thing to clear him out. He also had a rash on his forehead two weeks ago, so I took him to the doctor to get it checked out that Friday (12/4). He said it's nothing - just the face equivalent of cradle cap (it has a real name, but it's long and technical and I can't remember it). He said it'll go away on its own, or I can put Lotrimin (yes, the ringworm anti-fungal cream) on it. It is pretty much cleared up with the cream, and I'm glad to know it's nothing to worry about. While we were at the doctor, Jack got weighed. For sick visits, they weigh them with clothes on, so it might be a few ounces off (I have no idea how much clothing weighs), but he was 20 lbs., 10 oz. I'm sure that's still off the charts, but I have to say it's a little smaller than I expected after his unofficial weigh-in showed 21 lbs. 2 1/2 weeks earlier.

Jack is on the verge of rolling over - he can get onto his side, but then he just hangs out there for awhile and rolls back to his back. He hasn't rolled tummy to back yet, which they usually do first, because he really still despises tummy time. I think I mentioned before, the doctor told us at his last appointment that he might take longer to roll over because he's such a big guy. We're in no rush, but I always have the video camera nearby just in case. :)

He's still smiling all the time and laughing out loud at us. He loves to grab at things and bring them to his mouth. He really gnaws and bites on things now, so we suspect teeth may be in the near future (or maybe not - you never know). New this week, he grabs for Maggie when she comes near - it's pretty cute, but inevitably ends with Maggie trying to lick Jack's face.

He loves to watch football (can we say Daddy's son??) and still loves to gurgle and talk. He's found some new sounds, but I wouldn't say he's making consonant sounds just yet (should be soon according to the books). Can't wait for that first "mamama" and "dadadada" even though he won't know what he's saying just yet!

He's still eating like a champ. He has five meals of breast milk per day - I nurse him in the morning and at night, and he gets 3 bottles during the day, usually about 7 oz. each. He goes to bed pretty routinely at about 8:00 pm each night and sleeps until about 6:00 am or 6:30 am, but still wakes up occasionally when his arms come unswaddled and/or he loses his pacifier. He takes two solid naps per day (morning and afternoon), usually about 2-3 hours each, with a few cat naps mixed in. He hasn't been napping great at Grandma & Grandpa Lang's house (Mondays and Fridays), but Grandpa has apparently found a cure for that: In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida. For those who don't know, my dad is known among his friends and family for loving this 18 minute song by Iron Butterfly. Well, apparently my son likes it too - Grandpa and Jack listen to it almost every day and that's how Jack falls asleep for his nap. Rocking out to Iron Butterfly on Grandpa's lap.

I signed us up for swim classes starting March 6 (he has to be 6 months old first) - I can't wait! Maybe that will motivate me to exercise more since I'll have to don a bathing suit and get in there with him. Melissa & Addison are signing up for the same class, so it's going to be a lot of fun!

We finally got our Christmas tree yesterday - we planned to go cut one down, but in the interest of time decided to go to a tree lot instead. Turns out, trees are pretty picked over on December 12. We got one that is fine, but now we have to wait for the branches to drop before we can decorate it. We won't be waiting this long to get our tree next year - it doesn't feel right that we won't have a completed tree until mid-December.

Yesterday, Paige and Mia had their semi-annual dance recital. It was cute as always, and I used my new video camera. I didn't know until afterward that I was breaking the dance studio rules - no video allowed. Oops!

Here are some pictures of Jack from the last couple weeks:

All the cousins on Thanksgiving:
Addison & Jack meeting Santa at a Parents as Teachers meeting:Jack and Santa (he was neither scared by nor interested in who was holding him):Our little tiger:Almost rolling over:Snoozing in his car seat all bundled up in his adorable hat - I couldn't get the camera out fast enough - right before this he had a death grip on one of his toys.Here's a video of Jack laughing. It's the cutest sound we've ever heard:

And here's one of him just being cute playing with his toys. At the very end he whacked himself in the face with a toy and scared himself, so we had to cut the video short. :)

No comments: